"Tails is a live operating system, that you can start on almost any computer from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card. It aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity, and helps you to use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship; leave no trace on the computer you are using unless you ask it explicitly; use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files, emails and instant messaging."
The current release (2.11) of Tails has announced in their release notes that I2P will no longer be supported as of their next release in April due to lack of a volunteer to maintain the I2P integration.
It is mainly designed to force all network communication through the embedded Tor network. Since 2011, Tails also embeds a I2P router although it is not started and used by default. To start I2P, add the i2p boot option to the boot menu. That is, at the boot menu, hit <TAB> add "i2p" to the list of parameters and boot. I2P will be started once the computer clock has been synchronized and can be used through the included and preconfigured I2P browser.
Tails can be downloaded from its web site at https://tails.boum.org/install/ (Clearnet!)
How to save files from I2P (ie: torrents) ?
Tails is not well suited for people wanting to download media files from I2P. A description of how files downloaded with I2P can be shared with the default tails user is on the clearnet page: https://tails.boum.org/doc/anonymous_internet/i2p/index.en.html.
- Using a second USB key (not encrypted)
- Installing Tails to a external HDD (and boot from) ?
- Using Tails's persistent volume ? https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/your_data_wont_be_saved_unless_explicitly_asked/index.en.html
The developer (KyTV aka Kill your TV) integrating I2P with Tails ceased all activities in March 2016. The tails project threatened to drop I2P from its distribution, and a new volunteer developer is urgently needed..
- IprediaOS Operating system with similar goals to Tails(defunct)
- Official web site: https://tails.boum.org
- Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_%28operating_system%29